VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Get Number Module/ Rapid Timeout.

I am having problems with a get number module. Clients call in and are prompted to enter a 9 digit id number. However, if they pause for more than one second at any point while entering the 9 digit string, the module time's out. Is there a way to program voice guide to wait longer between digits when callers are required to enter a long series of numbers?

The default timeout is 6 seconds - looks like you are using some "Timeout" paths in your module which reduces the timeout to 1 second - you should change your timeout path in that module.

If you are still having problems please post a copy of VoiceGuide's Debug Printout which captures the problem, this will allow us to see what is going wrong.

(When running the script click on VoiceGuide's View menu and select 'Event Trace Log' option - any log information will then appear in this window. You must open the trace window before making the call.)

Please also post the script that you are using.

Thank you for your quick response. However, you recommended that I "change the time out path". Do I need to elimiate the T.O. path, or how should I change it?

If you are using the timeout path in a Get Number then the timeout value basically changes how long that module will wait for input from caller... set this value to whatever you like - but it sound like right now you've set it too low...

Most of the time there is no need to use a timeout path in the ‘Get Numbers’ module - what were you trying at achieve by putting that path in there if it wasn’t for the purpose of setting a new time within which the digits from the caller need to be entered?

I created a counter off the timeout path. We have clients who are impaired and wanted to stop individuals from entering an infinite loop. We to increment the counter if the client didn't enter an ID number with the correct number of digits, or didn't enter any numbers at all. After three tries, the caller is pathed to a script which tells them there is a problem with their ID number entry and prompts them to call a specific person at another phone number. There is another counter which the number of attempts which include the correct number of digits, but is an invalid entry. This also kicks the client out of the loop after 3 tries. This counter did not affect data entry.

I set the pause between re-tries to 5 seconds, and that allowed the caller to take up to 5 seconds to start data entry. However, they had to enter the remaining digits at roughly one digit/sec or faster, or they would get timed out and be prompted to re-enter their number in the middle of data entry.

I removed the time out path and now clients can enter numbers within 5 seconds of each other, but they have the potential of entering an infinite loop if they continue enter an ID number that <> 9 digits.

Is there another way to program the lenght of time it takes to trigger time out aside from the pause between re-tries?

However, they had to enter the remaining digits at roughly one digit/sec or faster, or they would get timed out and be prompted to re-enter their number in the middle of data entry

That's pretty poor way of doing a system you should give them at least 5 seconds between successive numbers...

I removed the time out path and now clients can enter numbers within 5 seconds of each other, but they have the potential of entering an infinite loop if they continue enter an ID number that <> 9 digits.

If the entered number is incorrect length just play a message to caller saying that it is incorrect length - there is a sound file reserved for this...

Is there another way to program the lenght of time it takes to trigger time out aside from the pause between re-tries?

You use the 'Timeout' path for that...

I'm not too sure I understand what is the actual problem - can you please describe a problem scenario using an example.

Regarding quote #1. Once I added the time out path, the time between digits dropped from 6 sec to 1 second. I did not program this or expect it. Furthermore, I have been told to change that length of time to 5 seconds, and I'd like instructions on how to do that. The first response from the technical team seemed to suggest that if I use the time out path, the time out timer drops to 1 second for some unexplained reason.

Regarding quote #2: I do have a wav file that states that the number is too short or long. However, when I attach that file to the time out path. The client has to enter numbers in less than 1 second in succession. The clientele we deal with can have cognitive impairments and not understand the error wav message. Therefore we need to have a counter to take them out of the get hrn module after a few tries.

Regarding quote #3: I ask how to program a longer pause time between digit entry. You said use a time out path for that. How? Besides, the information I was given in the 6:31AM SUPPORT TEAM response told me not to use the time out path.

To clarify what I need: I need to count the number of attempts to enter a 9 digit number that are less than or greater than 9 digits. For each invalid attempt I want to have path that increments my counter and prompts the client that their number is incorrect and they need to re-enter, and they are pathed back into the get number module. While the get number module and counter/wav loop are programmed this way, I need the get number module to allow up to 5 seconds between each digit entered.

The paths and modules are all programmed. The logic works fine. But when I programmed the time out path to go to the counter module and the wav module playing the file describing the number entry mistake. The get number module automatically reduces the length of time allowed between digits entered from 6 seconds to 1 second. I changed the pause between re-tries property to wait 6 seconds between re-tries, but this pause is only effective before the first digit is entered. The remaining digits are required in less than 1 second intervals. And I repeat, I did not program that.

Finally, when I remove the time out path and therefore disable my counter and wav file describing the mistake. The get number file automatically reverts back to allowing up to 5-6 seconds between digits entered. But now I have the problem that my cognitively impaired clients will keep making the mistake and they can be caught in an infinite loop.

Please let me know if there is a way I can use the timeout path, program my counter and wav file and have VG allow up to 5 seconds between digits entered before timing out the module.

Regarding quote #1. Once I added the time out path, the time between digits dropped from 6 sec to 1 second. I did not program this or expect it. Furthermore, I have been told to change that length of time to 5 seconds, and I'd like instructions on how to do that. The first response from the technical team seemed to suggest that if I use the time out path, the time out timer drops to 1 second for some unexplained reason.

Length of timeout is whatever you specify in the timeout path. Here is the relevant section in the Help file: http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/html/modGetNumber.htm

Regarding quote #2: I do have a wav file that states that the number is too short or long. However, when I attach that file to the time out path. The client has to enter numbers in less than 1 second in succession. The clientele we deal with can have cognitive impairments and not understand the error wav message. Therefore we need to have a counter to take them out of the get hrn module after a few tries.

If you are dealing with impaired callers then that's probably another reason why you should give them more time then one second between entering successive digits...

Regarding quote #3: I ask how to program a longer pause time between digit entry. You said use a time out path for that. How? Besides, the information I was given in the 6:31AM SUPPORT TEAM response told me not to use the time out path.

If you don’t use the timeout path VoiceGuide will wait 5 seconds (could be 7 seconds in some versions of VG) before timing out awaiting another digit. If you use the timeout path it will be whatever time is specified in the timeout path.

I'd suggest just using the "Verify Entered Number" tab to run some VBS code which check the length of entered number and then acts appropriately - there is an example which almost does exactly what you are asking for in the help file page: http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/html/modGetNumber.htm

You may also want to ask callers to press a “#” key or “*” key to indicate they have finished entering the number – using such terminating characters allows you to act immediately after the # or * is pressed – without the need to rely on ‘timing-out’ awaiting next keystroke to determine when caller has finished entering number.