VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Caller Id & Pbx

I AM WORKING WITH A PANASONIC KXTA624. I NEED TO MAKE A STUDY OF THE CALLER ID NUMBER OF THE RECEIVED CALL. I PROGRAMMED THE PBX AND THE CALLER ID FEATURE WORKS WELL IN A PROPRIETARY PHONE, BUT WHEN I CONNECT IT TO MY MODEM OR TO A REGULAR PHONE, THERE IS NO CALLER ID DATA AVAILABLE. IS THERE ANYTHING VOICEGUIDE COULD DO ABOUT IT? THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

i just talked to panasonic thechnical support and they say that this pbx does not support ATAPI. i don't know if it may be of interest or not.

Can this PBX send Caller ID data via Inband Signaling or CTI links?

(you may need to ask Panasonic Tech Support about this)

I ASKED MY PBX TECH SUPPORT DEP ABOUT THE CALLER ID SIGNALING AND THEY TOLD ME: "the info is delivered on the data pair, so there is no way to get this information with an IVR". DOES THAT TELL YOU SOMETHING?. THANK YOU

the info is delivered on the data pair

Not to sure what they mean by 'data-pair' - that could mean just about anything... it would be good if they could provide you with a link to online documentation for this PBX...

Sounds like however that this PBX does not support Inband Signaling or CTI links - they should have known about them if you asked them...

A TALKED AGAIN TO MY PBX TECH SUPPORT TEAM AND THEY SAID: "If you have a CTI program you can manipulate the SMDR data."

WHAT IS A CTI PROGRAM? IS IT NEEDED OR VOICEGUIDE JUST NEED THE FACT THAT THE PBX WORKS WITH THAT, SO IT IS ABLE TO MANIPULATE THE SIGNAL?

OK, so they have an SMDR (Station Message Detail Recording) interface:

Station Message Detail Recording (SMDR)

By connecting a serial printer to the system, or by attaching a PC (with simple terminal software or more elaborate call accounting software), you can obtain a record of calls. You'll know who called where, when, and for how long. Account codes may be assigned to keep track of costs to be billed to clients, employees, projects or departments.

But this will usually just supply the call records at the end of the call, letting you keep track of what extension called what number and for how long they spoke - so that you can compare this against your phone bill. If that's all that it does then this does not help you in any way in finding out the Caller ID of the call as it arrives.

If this PBX sends an SMDR message when the extension starts ringing as well and the CallerID info is included in this SMDR message then you should ask Panasonic for full documentation on this interface, and we can then have a look at what info is sent and provide you with an appropriate script to interface this with VoiceGuide.

If you have a hard time getting the info/documentation out of Panasonic then you could just attach the Serial SMDR interface to a serial port on your computer (using a 9-pin or a 25-pin serial cable) and set up a terminal program to display all data which arrives on this serial port (ask Panasonic what serial port settings should be used - usually its "1200 baud, 8 bits, No Parity, 2 stop bits, XON/XOFF"). Then just post the trace of what was sent here and we can see if this info is useful for your purposes...

Some PBXs use 2 pair. My AT&T Partner series does. The inner pair is analog, in other words I can hook any phone to it. The outer pair is the data pair, for like the display, button lights etc. Toshiba Strata use 1 pair, but then you cannot hook up and ordinary telephone without a special interface. Also, you can get an analog port with Caller ID on some Panasonics.

I am still trying to see if my AT&T Partner's inband signalling sends the caller ID information. I fried the processor in a storm about a month ago.