VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Question About Dialer And Retries

I am trying to design a setup with the VoiceGuide trial to do some dialing out and had a question on the retry settings. I am dialing a list of numbers which I submit by XML which seems to work great so far. I want to track the results of the call which I will update to a table on a SQL server with the query module which I think I have worked out too. I want VG to retry the number if it is busy or doesn't answer. I am populating the retry entry in the XML file that I send over to VG to accomplish this. After reading over the documentation again it seems that it says that VG will still retry to reach a person if an answering machine picks up. I don't want that to happen. I have 2 different scripts to handle the human/answering machine situation and if an answering machine answers I just want to leave a message and not retry again. Am I not understanding the documentation or is this the way it works? I just want the retries to occur is there is a busy/no answer call.

Thanks for your help

After reading over the documentation again it seems that it says that VG will still retry to reach a person if an answering machine picks up.

No. If answering machine answers the call then VoiceGuide will play the message which is specified to be played in that situation (or run a script) and will not redial that number again. It will then save call info in OutDial_Contacted_AM.txt file as well. Any escalations specified will not be taken.

Where in the documentation did it say that further calls will be made?

I just want the retries to occur is there is a busy/no answer call.

This is how it works.

If you find it works differently for you could you please post a copy of VoiceGuide's Debug Printout which captures the problem, this will allow us to see what is going wrong.

(When running the script click on VoiceGuide's View menu and select 'Event Trace Log' option - any log information will then appear in this window. You must open the trace window before making the call.)

I can't seem to find the spot in the guide that made me consider that possibility. I remember reading it a few times over to make sure I was understanding it correctly. If I find it I will let you know but in the mean time thank for you clearing that up for me. That is exactly how I want things to work.

is there any way to force voice guide to redial a number if an answering machine picks up without having to do this manually using the voice guide com object and manually calculating call parameters for next time to call(so the number isnt redialed immediately)

Not at this stage.

If you do not want to leave message on answering machine but ring at a later time you will need to schedule a new call from within a VBScript that you can select to run when Answering Machine is detected.

so i got the readding of the call into the que using vbscript and everything seems to be working exactly how i want it. well i was looking through the help file again and i came across something that i wanted to pass onto support and make sure that this isnt the same thing as what i am doing manually.

if yo look in the voice guide help file at the topic "Loading Numbers to Call" under section "6. Outbound Dialing" you will find a bolded portion that states "When an answering machine answers the call". if you look at the 3rd paragraph down under this header you find the following statement.

"If RETRY is specified in this field then VoiceGuide will attempt dialing again if an answering machine is encountered (up to to maximum number of redials allowed)."

so i am just wondering if putting RETRY in the answering machine script field, will this cause the number dialed to remain in the que until the number of redials is finished. if so this would accomplish the same thing that i am currently manually doing. also if this is the case, on the final redial attempt if an answering machine picks up again, would this cause the "OnNotConnected" script to execute?

if putting RETRY in the answering machine script field, will this cause the number dialed to remain in the que until the number of redials is finished.

Yes.

what about the execution of the "OnNotConnected"? if i set it to redial answering machines will it run this script when the redials are up?