VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Reading The Diverted Number As A Caller Id?

We are planning a VoiceGuide script where callers dial one of several 1300 numbers, all of which are diverted to our number to be answered by our script. The script, we hope, will identify which 1300 number was dialled by the caller.

Telstra told me that they think our script will only be able to identify the originating caller ID (which we don't need), and not the 1300 number they dialled which is diverted to our number.

Does anyone know if it is possible to capture the 1300 number the caller dialled, as per this example.

Thanks

Geoff

Finding out what number the caller dialed (DNIS number) is only possible if you use digital lines. You will need to use an E1 ISDN line (Telstra used to call them "OnRamp ISDN") and use a Dialoigc D/300 card.

Thanks for the info. That's an expensive card (around $3-4000 US). I had hoped to buy the D/4PCI.

Is there not any cheaper way to do this (with the digital ISDN line)?

If not, is the D/300 card suitable for Australia?

Thanks,

Geoff

I had hoped to buy the D/4PCI

No phone company informs you of the DNIS number on analog lines, you will need digital.

Is there not any cheaper way to do this (with the digital ISDN line)?

I understand most phone companies also provide DNIS on the Basic Rate ISDN Service (2 line ISDN).

If not, is the D/300 card suitable for Australia?

Yes. You can use it on any E1 line in the world.

Thanks, that's is very helpful. One more clarification, if you don't mind.

From your reply I understand you are saying that the D/4PCI card is an analog card, whereas the D/300 is digital? Is this the entry level card that will identify DNIS? (I'm finding it hard identifying the differences between cards, as I am not very knowledgable in telephony equipment and terminology.)

Thanks.

Geoff

Please email your contact details to sales@voiceguide.com and someone will contact you regarding your ISDN system requirements.

I have spoken a length with Telstra about their ISDN service. They informed me that they simply provide the digital line -- it is up to our IVR to identify the DNIS number.

Is that the case? Will VoiceGuide, along with the D/300 do this? I had the impression from earlier emails that you were saying Telstra had to do something to provide a DNIS facility on the ISDN service.

Thanks

Geoff

I have spoken a length with Telstra about their ISDN service. They informed me that they simply provide the digital line -- it is up to our IVR to identify the DNIS number.

Correct.

Is that the case? Will VoiceGuide, along with the D/300 do this?

Yes.

I had the impression from earlier emails that you were saying Telstra had to do something to provide a DNIS facility on the ISDN service.

All E1 and T1 class ISDN services will supply DNIS information with the call.

That's great. Do any of your sample scripts provide the method for getting the DNIS?

Geoff