VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Long Delay On Outbound Call

We are currently evaluating VoiceGuide for an outbound dialling application, and have noticed that sometimes there is a long delay after the person has picked up the phone before they actually hear the first message. I attach a copy of our vgm log file - as you can see, there is approximately 10 seconds elapsed between the person answering the call and the wav file being played to them.

We are using a Dell Optiplex 170L, with 2.40 GHZ Celeron processor, 256 Mb RAM running XP Professional version 2002 SP1 with a Intel Dialogic D4PCI Euro board.

I have also attached a copy of our VoiceGuide script.

We have noticed a delay like this several times, intermittently - can you tell us what might be causing it, and is there anything else we need to do to prevent it?

files120504.zip

This will only happen if a person answers a call and does not say anything.

Dialogic card waits for person answering the call to say something, eg: "Hello" (just like a human would). If a person answers a call but does not say anything it is not possible to tell that the call has been answered.

On digital lines you would be informed immediately when the receiver has been lifted off-hook, but on analog lines only way you can tell that a call has been answered is by listening to what is happening on the line. If call is answered without anybody saying anything what the card ends up detecting is that the ringback signal has gone away - and if Dialogic cannot hear ringback for about 10 seconds then it will deduce that the call must have been answered. I suspect that is what must be happening here...

Such things do not happen when calling real people as they all say something immediately after answering a call.