VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Message Lamp Activation

Hello, I am just asking you guys if there is a way to run a program before and after a message is left in a mailbox to turn a message waiting indicator on. Our telephone system turns lamps on and off via a contol utility over a special controller board in the Voicemail server. It launches then sends the appropriate FSK signal to the appropriate extension. Basically, I need to know if it is possible to get VoiceGuide to launch a command string like this: 'fskmsgon XXXX' (XXXX=extension number) after a message is deposited and ''fskmsgoff XXXX' after the system has disconnected and all new messages have been either saved or erased. If that is not possible, the program can also get the extension number from a Windows evironment variable if VoiceGuide is capable of writing to them; then clear the variable when the signal is sent successfully. Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

will.kuzminski@shaw.ca

Take a look at the file vm_events.vbs in VoiceGuide's \system\vm\ subdirectory.

One of the things that VoiceGuide will do when turning a lamp on is to call the function vm_msglamp_on, and conversely it will call vm_msglamp_off while turning a lamp off. Just add commands to the body of those functions and those functions will be then executed.

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately I have little knowledge of VB scripting. I had a look at the file and a friend assisted me with the VB scripting. I would like to know if this is done correctly:

sub vm_msglamp_on(sExt)

dim commandLine, WshShell

commandLine = "c:\fskmsgon.exe %sExt%"

Set WshShell = Server.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

call WshShell.Run (commandLine,8,true)

set WshShell=nothing

end sub

call vm_msglamp_on

Thanks!

Will

will.kuzminski@shaw.ca

This looks OK, but you do not need to use "%sExt%" - the value of sExt is passed as a parameter to the function call. Also you should not add a call to vm_msglamp_on - VoiceGuide will call the right function for you.

Just alter the contents of the vm_msglamp_on sub to contain:

dim commandLine, WshShell

commandLine = "c:\fskmsgon.exe " & sExt

Set WshShell = Server.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
call WshShell.Run (commandLine,8,true)
set WshShell=nothing

and that should do it.

Thanks a lot, that did the trick, but there is one snag... For some reason VG is not turning off the lamp when the message that triggered the light is deleted. I used the identical code except with the different filename for the lamp off function. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Will

will.kuzminski@shaw.ca

Could you please post a copy of VoiceGuide's Debug Printout which captures the call during which deletion is made and the lamp ought to have been turned off, this will allow us to see what is going wrong.

(When running the script click on VoiceGuide's View menu and select 'Event Trace Log' option - any log information will then appear in this window. You must open the trace window before making the call.)