VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Sound File Issue

I've been running the Enterprise version for a month now. At first we were using .wav files that were recorded on our old IVR/phone system. That system recorded wave files over the telephone, using Dialogic station cards. Were were generally happy with the files although they did require clean up and editing by a software package that we use (Goldwave).

Since we've just started recording our own wav files on the new system (VG), I thought it best to use a high-quality microphone/sound card setup and record wave files directly from the PC. The quality of the recording is phenomenal, but when I clean up and save the files in Goldwave, they no longer sound clear over the phone.

From what I have read, the sound files need to be 8 bit mono, 11 kHz, PCM format.

From the old system, here is what the file stats look like:

Bit rate: 64 kbps

Audio sample size: 8 bit

Channels: 1 (mono)

Audio sample rate: 8 kHz

Audio format: CCITT u-Law

Here are the stats for the new files:

Bit rate: 352 kbps

Audio sample rate: 44 kHz

Audio format: PCM

Here are the file stats for the sample audio recordings provided by VG:

Bit rate: 88 kbps

Audio sample rate: 11 kHz

Since the sample files play great and they are PCM format, I have to assume that it cannot be the format of the wav file that is causing the problem.

I cannot seem to find a setting in Goldwave that mimicks the exact settings of the old system or of the sample wav files. Do you have any suggestions? Is there a different software to try? There are so many wav files that we record that calling in from the outside just isn't practical.

Sometimes resampling (converting from one format to another) introduces noise into the resulting wave file.

It is usually best to record the sound files directly in the format which is used by VoiceGuide, which is (as you correctly state):

Audio sample rate: 11 kHz