VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

4/dpciu And Wave Driver problem

Configuration:

Hardware:

Dell PowerEdge 2650

Dialogic 4/DPCIU

Software:

Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP2 (tested also with SP4)

System Release (SR) 5.1.1 with FP1 (tested also with SP1 and patch for 4/dpciu)

Problem:

The card is recognized under Windows, driver is installed. Installation of TAPI is successfull (boards are detected). DCM starts automatically. The problem occurs during installation of WAVE driver. When I try to access properties of if I get the message "Status: Driver is enabled but not functioning properly". There are also two radio buttons without description on that screen. I get the same results when using SR SP1 and SR FP1. The installation was done according to manual.

D/4PCIU requires SR5.1.1 FP1 drivers.

When you read the installation notes which came with SR5.1.1 FP1 you'll see they instruct you to install SR5.1.1 first and then install SR5.1.1 FP1 on top of them.

It sounds like you have only installed one of them, not both...

If that does not fix your wave driver problems can you try removing all the wave drives on your system (including any sound card drivers) and then re-installing the wave drivers for the Dialogic card first.

To remove other wave drivers got to Control Panel, double clock on System, select the Device Manager tab and go to Sound/Video/Game Controllers entry - then delete all other wave drivers.

You may have to disable the sound card altogether as well to stop Windows from automatically loading it's drivers - to do this just select "Disable" and then select "Uninstall" from the Device Manager.

Hi,

I tried two configurations:

Windows 2000 SP2

SR 5.1.1

SR 5.1.1 SP1

patch on SR 5.1.1 with support to 4/dpciu

Windows 2000 SP4

SR 5.1.1

SR 5.1.1 FP1

In both cases the result were the same - WAVE driver was not functioning properly.

Today I performed complete new installation (according to manual) - reformated windows partition, removed voice card and installed:

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Service Pack 3 (the voice card was then inserted)

System Release 5.1.1

Feature Pack 1 for System Release 5.1.1

TAPI drivers

WAVE Driver 1.X (according to manual - no problems during installation)

The board is recognized. DCM is started. TAPI drivers are installed. WAVE driver is _not_functioning_properly.

There are two strange things:

1. When I look at "resources" of Dialogic driver there is some problem (conflict) with memory mapping - I see following message:

Memory Range FCF00000-FCF07FFF used by: \Driver\DlgcSram

2. When I try to access properties of WAVE Driver I get the status:

Driver is enabled but not functioning properly

When I try to access settings I get "Driver Error" with message:

Cannot load the Dialogic WAVE Driver 1.X driver. The driver file may be missing. Try installing the driver again, or contact your system administrator.

Reinstallation of WAVE Driver doesn't help. I don't have any sound cards in this server.

Could you please post a screenshot of this, showing the error and the contents of the "Sounds and Multimedia Properties" window.

Where did you download the "patch on SR 5.1.1 with support to 4/dpciu" from?

In situations where there are memory conflicts reported in the Device Manager the usual approach is to start disabling other devices on the computer - like 'games ports', network adapters etc - usually you can find what is causing the memory conflict...

What is the "Remote Access Controller"? Can you try disabling/uninstalling that as well?

When using D/4PCIU we usually install SR5.1.1 + SR5.1.1FP1 - and the default memory selected just works - mind you the card initially comes up as a "PCI Device" with an Exclamation mark over it - but TAPI/Wave drivers still work OK...

I'd try disabling all you can on the system, running the entire install again... this is the only thing that I can suggest as I really cannot deduce what precisely is responsible here...

When all this fails I'd just try using a different machine...

"Remote Access Controler" gives remote access to the server and system. I disabled it - but no effect.

I also tried to disable other components:

one of the onboard network cards - no difference.

USB in BIOS - no difference.

I saw that Intel offers also System Release 6.0. Did you try it? Are those drivers plug&play? If so may be this might solve my problem...

I'm at a loss to explain as to what could be happening here... can you try another PC?

SR6.0 is not the answer here... the drivers you are using are the correct ones.

The problem is that this is not a PC but the server and I don't have another one. I could try the card on other PC and it might work but it's not solution to my problem. I think that conflicts in my configuration results from that SR 5.1.1 is not plug&play and Windows can't handle some conflicts (and even tell me where they really exist).

We never tried with SR6.0 as it was never needed - SR6.0 was made to be used for another set of cards and I believe that the drivers for the D/4PCIU which ship with SR6.0 are not any different from the ones supplied with FP1.

In 1-2 months we will be releasing a version of VoiceGuide for the Dialogic analog cards which does not use the TAPI/Wave drivers but works with the card directly. As the problems on this system seem to be with the Wave drivers then I'd say you'll have more luck getting this new version going...

(This is basically an analog version of the "VoiceGuide for ISDN" product which does not use TAPI/Wave drivers.)

I found other strange problem. After fresh installation of Windows 2000 plus SP4, I tried to access "Soundcard, video..." in "Device Manager", then I went to "Legacy audio drivers" category and tried to see properties of "iccvid.dll" in "Audio devices" and... I get the same error message "Driver is enabled but not functioning properly". I have no soundcard in this server. May be Windows require soundcard for proper installation of audio drivers and then also WAVE driver?

I installed Windows XP, System Release 5.1.1, Feature Pack 1. The installation of WAVE Driver looks much better - information message says that is's enabled and working properly. The talker application is not working and after configuration of script on the first channel in Voiceguide and starting it I get message "WAVE driver not installed". Other applications seems to be working (those which does not use WAVE driver).

Do you know exact time when new version of Voiceguide (not using WAVE driver) will be released?

Before installing "System Release 5.1.1, Feature Pack 1" you must have "System Release 5.1.1" installed (please read the SR5.1.1 FP1 Release Notes).

Did you restart machine after configuring wave drivers?

The "Dialogic Analog" specific version is 1-2 months away.

Yes, I installed FP1 on top of SR5.1.1. The machine was restarted right away after installation.

warek,

Did you manage to solve this problem?

I am using WinXP Pro on an IBM Thinkcentre and I anm getting exactly the same problem. I also have the same conflict shown.

Interestingly (!) I have an identical machine which has the same conflict but works perfectly!

Jason

Yes, finally i got it working but under Windows 2000.

The problem was connected with hardware abstraction layer driver. The default installation used "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" and I changed it to "Standard PC". Then Windows reinstalled all drivers and... magically everything started looking as in manual.

Some usefull links:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;237556

warek,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The machine is running as ACPI uniprocessor kernel, is it therefore your suggestion that we chane this to Standard?

I am a little wary of this as it says in the MS link:

WARNING: Note that you should not attempt to change from an ACPI HAL to a standard HAL or from a standard HAL to a ACPI HAL under any circumstances

However, it does go on to explain how you could do it by reinstalling the Windows 2000 upgrade.

How did you do it and do you have any advice on the method to use?

Many thanks for your help,

Jason

Hi,

Changing "Computer type" (read hal driver) on working system is a risky operation. You have to be prepared to see in blue ;). You should also do this having direct console connection (I tried to do it remotely and I lost it because system was reinstalling all the drivers including network). To perform upgrade just click on "ACPI Uniprocessor" driver properties and then "upgrade driver", force to display all the drivers and then choose "Standard PC".

>I am a little wary of this as it says in the MS link:

>WARNING: Note that you should not attempt to change from an ACPI HAL to a standard >HAL or from a standard HAL to a ACPI HAL under any circumstances

Yes and that's why I'm going to do fresh installation of Windows 2k with HAL changed during setup. The above method was just quick test (I have direct access to the server only from time to time).

>The machine is running as ACPI uniprocessor kernel, is it therefore your suggestion that we chane this to Standard?

In my case the cause of problem were some conflict between ACPI and the drivers of the card. So the idea is to use no ACPI at all.