VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

ODBC Connect strings

Hi,

I want to connect to an SQL Server database that resides on a different machine from the one I am running VoiceGuide on. I set up a local system DSN called 'VoiceGuide' that attaches to the remote database. The DSN I created tested OK attaching to the remote SQL database. What do I need to use in the 'Database or ODBC data source' field, and the 'Connect String' field? I am using 'SELECT * FROM table1' in the query field, just to get a row count.

I ran a test with a local Access database and the query module did return a row count. In this case I am using the Access database name in the 'Database or ODBC data source' field, the connect string field is blank, and I am using 'SELECT * FROM table1' in the query field, just to get a row count. I got this example from VoiceGuide help.

Thanks. Mike.

The 'Connect string' which needs to be used to connect to ODBC databases differs depending on database type - and you need to consult the database's manuals to find out what 'Connect string' it requires.

Some samples of 'Connect strings' are provided in VG Help file, and one of the samples does cover MS SQL Server (MSSQL):

Try this connect string (as per VG Help file):

ODBC;UID=sa;PWD=;

Hi,

I know how to connect to a database. I'm an expert with ADO and SQL server. What I don't know is how your underlying code works. As I stated in my last post, I configured and tested a DSN to connect to my SQL server database. How do I specify the DSN in the 'Database or ODBC data source' field of the Query Database module?

Mike.

You just type the DSN name by itself in the "Database or ODBC Source" field.

(There should be a few examples of this in the VoiceGuide Help file's entry on Database Query module.)