VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Self Modifying Script Approach

I'd like to provide our phone operator with a VG menu option to select or enter an extension to serve as the "press 0 to reach the operator" so we can provide continuous operator coverage during breaks etc. Using the GetNumber module, I can provide a menu of pre-defined extensions, or prompt for a new extension.

Currently, the GetNumber module which offers the option to "press 0 to reach an operator" paths to a play module with timeout 0 ("please wait while your call is transferred to the operator" which paths to a blind transfer to a fixed extension.

Ideally, I'd like to modify the transfer script to reflect the "current" operator extension from within VG. Is there an way to do this within VG, or do I need to run a VBScript that perhaps re-creates the transfer script (.vgs) with the new number?

Any suggestions appreciated! I'm really growing fond of the simplicity of VG - especially when I broke my huge application into nice subroutines via the subscript call features of Enterprise.

-Rick

There are a number of approaches on how to let callers set information that scripts use, or change the scripts altogether.

In your case if you just need to let caller change the transfer destination phone number then I'd recommend just having the number saved in a database (or just a text file) and have VG read DB/file before each transfer. The modifying script would just save new number to database or write new data to text file.

You can also re-generate the .VGS file with new number. The new .VGS will be used for future calls as VoiceGuide reloads .VGS whenever .VGS changes on disk.

I'd say the DB/text file approach is easier...