VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Ring Through To Attendant

I purchased Voiceguide for a single line and a Zoom voice modem and I have a few questions.

1. It is my desire to processes as much of the phone traffic as possible without human intervention.

Most of it is typical stuff, like press 1 for hours, 2 for directions, etc. which in my mind could be handled without an audible ring at the location, but when the person wants to talk to the attendant, how do I do that. In essense how do I make the phone ring through when appropriate?

2. I would like to do develop an interact script to get the person to give us their name, address and phone number. Is there a way to know if a person has responded verbally? Consider a person is sent to a Voicemail box and is directed to "Please give us your name spelling your last name" with a wait for response. If no response the message is repeated, if there is a response we then proceed to asking for their address, etc. Doable?

3. I probably missed this one, but if one were to do an outcall list is Voiceguide able to tell if the call was answered by a person or an answer machine? I'm assuming I would need to upgrade to a Dialogic card to do this, right?

Thanks in advance.

but when the person wants to talk to the attendant, how do I do that.

This question has been asked a few times before, please read:

http://voiceguide.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=284

http://voiceguide.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=560

http://voiceguide.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=464

http://voiceguide.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1183

Is there a way to know if a person has responded verbally?

Just use a "Record Message" module to record the response - the recording will stop when silence is detected - ie. when caller has stopped talking.

From VG Help file, "Record Message Module" section.

The following type of path can be used to tell VoiceGuide which module to go to next if a silence is detected;

On {silence} Goto [module name goes here]

Minimum silence length and volume parameters can be set by editing the VG.INI configuration file, in section [PlayRecordConfig]. From VG.INI file:

;SilenceDetectLength: 40=4 seconds

SilenceDetectLength=40

;SilenceDetectLevel: range: 0-100.

;0 - don't detect silence, 100 - detect loud background noise as silence.

SilenceDetectLevel=10

The silence detection settings can be set from within the script as well, by assigning values to Result Variables SilenceDetectLvl and SilenceDetectLen using the Evaluate Expression module.

If one were to do an outcall list is Voiceguide able to tell if the call was answered by a person or an answer machine? I'm assuming I would need to upgrade to a Dialogic card to do this, right?

Yes, you need Dialogic card for that.

Well having now read the suggested passages there seems to be gaps in the information.

Here is what I understand....

1. Disconnect the actual phone ringer.

2. When the scripts get to a point that you want the attendant to answer the phone, run a ring file on the PC through the PC speakers. The example show a single ring with music on hold for a minute, then a default to a mailbox.

Here are my questions.

a. Given this is a phone system, I assumed that VoiceGuide would have included a sound file to simulate the ringing of a phone! Haven't been able to find one.

b. There doesn't seem to be any set-up for multiple rings while waiting for the attendant to answer the phone.

c. What happens to the music on hold when the person picks up the phone? Won't it just play in both parties ears?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

a. Given this is a phone system, I assumed that VoiceGuide would have included a sound file to simulate the ringing of a phone! Haven't been able to find one.

Standard set of VoiceGuide sound files do not include a recording of a 'telephone ring'. You can record your own sound file of a 'ring' or use any sound file you choose.

(List of VoiceGuide supplied sound files is here: http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/html/SoundFiles.htm )

b. There doesn't seem to be any set-up for multiple rings while waiting for the attendant to answer the phone.

This waiting time would be controlled with a "timeout" path.

c. What happens to the music on hold when the person picks up the phone? Won't it just play in both parties ears?

Yes. The parson picking up the telephone handset which is attached to the modem would then need to manually hangup VoiceGuide by pressing the hangup button, or by pressing one of the keys on the telephone keypad - for which the script ought to be listening out for and hanging up once that tone is heard.