VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Spontaneous Hang Ups

Running this script and it keeps hanging up for no apparent reason. There is a database update (in VB Script) and it always hangs up after executing that but the other hang ups seem unpredictable. Log files are attached in the next two posts.

GetResults.vgs

Traces show nothing wrong... caller does not enter any data in the [Get_Home_Score] module and looks like fail path is not defined in that module so VG ends the call.

Yes but the script isn't waiting for data; it just spontaneously hangs up the call. And in different places.

All the relevant modules have 2 as the retry value and 5 seconds as the retry wait interval.

If the script was timing out "properly" I wouldn't have bothered you, I'd have made sure to enter some data within the time limit.

Looking at the traces we see thtin both cases about 1 second after the play was completed the modem you are using reported that a dtmf # key was pressed.

Just look at the traces yourslef, you will see that:

172710.95  6 [Get_Home_Score] Playing (C:\Program Files\VoiceGuide\data\tts6.wav)

172710.97  6 PlaySoundStart ok [C:\Program Files\VoiceGuide\data\tts6.wav]

172714.95  6 Play End line[6] (id=262937)

172715.89  6 dtmf #  (65746,35,2)

172715.89  6 LsGetNbrsRxDigits #

172715.91  6 rv    add [Hangup Time]{05/03/2004 17:27:15}

172715.91  6 Hanging up call... [Ls GetNbrsRxDigit]

This means no data was entered in module [Get_Home_Score] and so since no 'fail' path is defined in that module the script will end.

Both provided traces show the same situation.

If the caller is not pressing the # then it looks like your telephony device is falsley detecing it and then belatedly reports it to VG...

I see what you're sayng and I think it ties up with another(!) of my posts concerning the best format for getting variable length data entered.

That post is concerned with the choice between using fixed length input fields or relying on the hash key as a terminator.

The example I give concerns ages. A caller entering an age could enter 1, 2 or 3 digits and as a script designer you have the choice of either making the input string length a maximum of three and relying on the timeout to indicate end of data when fewer than the maximum number of digits applies (anyone younger than 99) or making the maximum length 4 and using the hash key to indicate end of input.

Fixed length input - like account numbers, credit card numbers credit card PINS etc, is not a problem. You can set the input field length to the desired size and reject any replies which are too short or too long.

The problem arises when you don't know how many digits may be entered and your advice on this would be appreciated.

PS Just for info we're no longer using a modem for testing; we've switched to a Dialogic 4PCI/Euro card and we're calling the script using an internal handset to dial an extension number which points to the Dialogic card; all through our PABX and Cat 5 cabling.

So it looks like this # was being pressed by caller who did not realize that they have moved on to the next module already...

To stop this from happening you should make the previous module accept any length input and advise all callers to enter # at end of input.

This is the preferred way for most IVR systems in situations where more than a single keypress is required.

It's doing it again; it may be/probably is me and my script but the hang-ups seem to occur at different places in the script and after differing numbers of iterations.

I've attached the log file and any help would be appreciated.

Brian

PS Your cookies have stopped working again; I don't understand why you can't fix this problem. Having to LogIn each time I come on is annoying and it doesn't show Katalina in the best light professionally speaking. Do you need any help with the script that writes them?(:))

PPS Do you know that the APPLY button doesn't work properly in the Play Sound File module (vers 5.2.1)? If you try to add a path you have to click OK to save it and then re-open the module to check that it's gone on OK.

GetResults.vgl

Further to the above and the cookies problem; I think it's the expiry interval, it's too short.

We set ours for a year...

I re-booted the PC and tried again. This time I was able to do 4 iterations and start playing-back the data entered.

The script stopped abruptly and not because it had hung up; the line to the phone is still open even as I type this post. I would say the program has got "lost" and is just sitting there in memory waiting for something to happen.

I've attached the log but I don't know what's been written to it because, as I say, the program is just sitting there. I'm going to stop the program now (by clicking on Hang Up) and I'll send the log again. Watch this space!

Puzzling...

GetResults.vgl

I don't think the .vgl file will show you anything so I've cut and pasted the log file from the display window and attached that.

Hope it helps.

Looping.txt

Hung up the phone from the hand set and got "Run Time Error '6' - Overflow" which I think you've already solved?

I'll have a look round the boards.

The "Run Time Error '6' - Overflow" occurred sometimes in previous releases if the "Trace Log" windows was open and large log entries were written into the window. It has been fixed now. See: http://voiceguide.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1227

(The trace file you posted confirms that the same error happened on yoir system)

Not too sure why the cookies are sometimes working for you and sometimes not - but I suspect it would be some anti-virus type software on your side. No changes have been made to the forum config for the last six months (and cookies work fine for us - I or other staff never have to type user/password to log in).

The Apply button in the Play Sound File module in Script Designer seems to work OK. Can you give us a step by step guide of how you reproduce the issue that you have come across?

I need to combine my posts under this topic and under the "System Error '6' Overflow" thread as they seem to be related.

I started up VG this morning and it worked fine so I imagine that, yesterday, the wave drivers were corrupted either on loading or while resident and re-booting cleared the problem up? Perhaps initialising a script in VG should re-initialise the drivers as well?

However, as you will see from the attached log file I'm still getting the spontaneous hanging-up problem even though I have installed the new vgmulti.exe file as suggested in one of your posts.

On the module APPLY button problem; I'm not doing anything strange. I open an existing script, click on the top right hand corner of an existing Play Sound module (they're the ones with the working loudspeaker icon and right pointing blue arrow?) and the module opens with the APPLY button greyed out. I add a new path, say, and the button remains greyed out. To apply the change I have to click OK which makes the change and then closes the module. To add another path, say, or check what I have done I have to re-open the module.

I am disappointed that you continually reject my problem reports about cookies and email notification. I am subscribed to any number of boards, all of which write valid cookies to my m/c and all of which notify me when a posting to a thread I am watching has arrived. As a reasonably experienced user I wouldn't report a problem if I were not seeing it and the "not seen here" response I am getting from yourselves on this issue is very annoying. I have the same problem with my Help Desk staff here and our users find it just as irritating as I do.

The log file did not come through - could you please post it...

The previous 'spontaneous hangups' were caused by the script which was designed to hangup then the caller pressed # in certain modules - so it may be good idea to post the script used as well as the trace - this would help in resolving the problem sooner.

The "System Error '6' Overflow" bug is unrelated to the problems that you reported in this thread, and it has been fixed as per thread http://voiceguide.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1227

I add a new path, say, and the button remains greyed out.

How are you adding the new path? Just tried it ourselves and the "Apply" button becomes available both when the "+" button is pressed and when the path is typed directly into the path text box... (using v5.2.1005 of VG Script Designer)

I am at a loss to explain why sometimes you have to enter the username/password and sometimes you do not need to. We have not seen any such problems ourselves, and the configuration of this support forum was not changed for last six months.

I am typing this with a hanging head. I hadn't - in four weeks working! - noticed the plus sign on the Play Sound module. I was simply adding the path using the combo boxes, or sometimes just typing them in or amending an existing one, and clicking OK. You are quite right; if you click the plus sign it lights up the APPLY button and puts the new path into the paths window.

I can only apologise for wasting your time.

I've attached the script to this post; I hope it comes through.

I'm going to get one of my techies here to look into the cookies problem but there's nothing I can do about the non-arrival of the emails telling me you or somebody else has posted.

GetResults.vgs