VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Advice On Recording Quality Sound Files Please!

Hi all,

I am currently experimenting with the trial version and writing a simple script. I have a very bad microphone that came with my web cam. Although I am able to record sounds in the suitable format using windows sound recorder the quality is quite bad.

I am not sure if this is due to my MIC alone or should I be using a different software package that may be able to clean the sound files up.

I would lke to get the quality equal to that of the sample sounds included with the demo.

Any advice on MIC's and software would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dan

Getting high recordings is actually pretty difficult. To get close to the quality of the prompts shipped with VG you basically need to set up a studio - this involves a high quality studio mic, a padded studio room and some post-processing audio software - and also you must have a good voice for it... people who record the prompts are known in the industry as 'talents' for a very good reason...

For a list of some 'talents' see: http://voiceguide.com/servCallflowDesign.htm

What is the quality of recordings in Voice Guide? Can you vary the quality?

Thanks

Geoff

You don't have to setup a stuido to get awesome sound recordings. The right mic, and the right modultation when you record are the key things. We went out and bought a great Headset mic with noise cancellation on it (about 30 USD or so) and the sound quality is PRISTINE, very much like those of voice guide.

Another thing to consider is the type of interface you are using to talk to your callers; a typical Voice Modem has crappy quality, it is modulated very low and most sound crackles and spurts all the time; it is just not good quality.

A Dialogic card, however, using the U-law recording method is quite nice; it is like speaking to someone.

If you must use a voice modem, try downloading from www.download.com a program to clean up your wave files; a simple wave editer should be able to pass these files through its buffer to get most of the scratches, and such out.

Just remember though, that Voice Modems provide crappy sound, and Dialogic Cards provide great sound.

Thanks, but what I mean is, what is the recorded bitrate of a recorded incoming telephone message? Would it sound Ok if I broadcast it on radio, for example? As good as the telephone conversations you hear on Lawsy?

Is there a big difference in sound quality in using the Dialogic cards over a good quality voice modem, for example?

Thanks

Geoff

what is the recorded bitrate of a recorded incoming telephone message?

Voice Modem : PCM 8000Hz, 16bit, Mono.

Dialogic : PCM 11025Hz, 8bit, Mono.

Would it sound Ok if I broadcast it on radio, for example?

With Dialogic card it would be OK. With modem it would vary from modem to modem - with many of the modems producing recordings sounding like a 'walkie-talkie' type conversation...

Is there a big difference in sound quality in using the Dialogic cards over a good quality voice modem, for example?

Yes.

Thanks for the prompt reply -- one more question. I noticed on this forum a long list of cards that work with the system. Are you able to identify from your experience which card/s provides the highest quality incoming telephone line recording?

Thanks again,

Geoff

Thanks. I notice on the intel.com site, the D4PCI has a slightly different model number in Australia. Here is the excerpt from -http://www.intel.com/network/csp/products/5795web.htm

Order by Item Market Name :

• D4PCI
  • D4PCICN (for use in China)
  • D4PCIEURO (for use in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand)
  • D4PCIIN (for use in India)
  • D4PCIJP (for use in Japan)
I am in Australia, should I then purchase the D4PCIEURO ?

Thanks

Geoff

i am in egypt

and want to buy your telephony board

how can i do that

I'd suggest buying Dialogic cards from a more local distributor.

Try: www.postcti.com

they are located in Europe but should be able to ship to Egypt.