VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Licensing (revisited)

All the minor version upgrades & fixes are free. Major version upgrades where major new features are introduced are chargeable.

If you want to be able to move the software to a different machine you will need to put a NIC (Network Card) into one of the PCI slots, and disable the onboard NIC. - the license is then linked to that NIC and it acts as a dongle allowing you to move the license to another machine. a NIC costs around $10.

The whole licensing scheme will soon be changed - only linking registration code to a NIC for multi-line licenses.

To start off NIC failures are very rare... we have had very few such cases.

This is why we are sticking with NIC linked licensing.

If you are planning on upgrading computers in future you should use a PCI card based NIC, and disabling any onboard ones - this will allow you to move VoiceGuide quite quickly - just move the NIC to new machine when you need to.

We are considering using dongle (hardware or software) based licensing for higher end systems - this approach would be a better solution for some customers.

I was wondering if there had been any changes to these statements regarding your licensing parameters recently. Uptime is a serious issue for me and prior to purchasing VG, I will be purchasing an enterprise-level server specifically to house your software.

A few questions:

1. The server has dual on-board NICs. NIC failures might be rare, but they do occur-- hence the push for dual NICs. What would happen if I license VG with the NIC that went bad?

2. The server I am looking at has 3 PCI slots. I will need 2 slots for the Dialogic boards and one for future expansion of the system (because VG will not be movable, I can't lock myself into saying that I will only ever require 2 PCI slots). So, a PCI-based NIC isn't a good solution for me.

3. If I were to upgrade the server in the future (from 16 to 24 or more ports), will I have a chance to move servers at that time or am I forver locked into that hardware?

4. Are you still pursuing hardware or software dongles?

5. As far as upgrading to new relases with major software revisions, is there an upgrade price, or will we need to re-purchase the entire license?

Thanks in advance for your help in clarifying the license situation. If you have written documentation on your license policies, I would like to obtain a copy. You have an excellent product and I just need to make sure that all of my expectations are accurate.

1. The server has dual on-board NICs. NIC failures might be rare, but they do occur-- hence the push for dual NICs. What would happen if I license VG with the NIC that went bad?

If the NIC does go bad we will issue a new license (as was mentioned these cases happen very rarely).

2. The server I am looking at has 3 PCI slots. I will need 2 slots for the Dialogic boards and one for future expansion of the system (because VG will not be movable, I can't lock myself into saying that I will only ever require 2 PCI slots). So, a PCI-based NIC isn't a good solution for me.

I'd suggest getting a USB based Ethernet adapter and attaching it to a USB port - this will essentially act as a dongle allowing you to move the license as you need. We can make the license linked to the USB adapter while at the same time allowing you to use all the onboard NICs - you do not need to disable the onboard NICs when using the USB adapter

If I were to upgrade the server in the future (from 16 to 24 or more ports), will I have a chance to move servers at that time or am I forever locked into that hardware?

You need to just move the USB adapter as outlined above.

Also: we will soon start linking the licensing to a Dialogic card - so the license can go wherever the Dialogic card is.

4. Are you still pursuing hardware or software dongles?

No. The Dialogic card linked license will be used on 4+ line installs.

5. As far as upgrading to new relases with major software revisions, is there an upgrade price, or will we need to re-purchase the entire license?

There are upgrade prices - see towards the bottom of the price list on the WWW based order form.

I believe I understand your licensing. However, because we've recently been burned by a hefty "right-to-use" IVR license (it needed to be repurchased annually), I need written documentation of your license agreement. I have installed the software, tested it, and am now ready to purchase-- however, I haven't seen any kind of written agreement-- does one exist?

If not, can you please verify that the following assumptions are true:

1. Once the software is purchased, it belongs to the buyer. There is no annual contractual agreement for on-going use.

2. Minor software revisions are provided free of charge by download at voiceguide.com. Major revisions are available at an upgrade cost.

3. Support is provided through the forums on voiceguide.com. The application is fully supported, but hardware and user-created scripts are not necessarily covered by your support team. Additional support is available for a fee (currently listed at $100 per hour).

4. The software is licensed per application port and is registered to the Network Interface Card (NIC). To add ports, the buyer needs to purchase additional port licenses. The software is transferrable when a USB NIC 'dongle' is used, thereby preventing simultaneous use of the software license on multiple systems. In the event that the USB dongle fails, Katalina would assist us in migrating the license to a new NIC card.

Thank you for your assistance in clarifying your licensing policies. This is a very important aspect for us and I appreciate your time.

Larry

1. Once the software is purchased, it belongs to the buyer. There is no annual contractual agreement for on-going use.

Correct. One you purchase the license it is yours to use. There are no annual fees for on-going use.

2. Minor software revisions are provided free of charge by download at voiceguide.com. Major revisions are available at an upgrade cost.

Correct.

3. Support is provided through the forums on voiceguide.com. The application is fully supported, but hardware and user-created scripts are not necessarily covered by your support team. Additional support is available for a fee (currently listed at $100 per hour).

Correct.

4. The software is licensed per application port and is registered to the Network Interface Card (NIC). To add ports, the buyer needs to purchase additional port licenses. The software is transferrable when a USB NIC 'dongle' is used, thereby preventing simultaneous use of the software license on multiple systems. In the event that the USB dongle fails, Katalina would assist us in migrating the license to a new NIC card.

Correct.

What IVR did you use before?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am currently coding scripts like a madman as I try to implement this in a very short time frame.

We are currently using a product by Interactive Intelligence (inin.com). It is a very expensive and very robust-- it is a standalone open architecture pc-based switch, IVR, and ACD. Our new setup will have three interdependant systems: a switch, VG, and an ACD system. VG is really the heart of the system as it will route calls, answer the line, provide on-hold messages, serve as the IVR, etc. I've been able to recreate the complicated database-driven applications, multiple line schedules and wav files, scripts, and the interactivity that I've demanded of our current system and that is quite an accomplishment for a product that costs less than 10% of our previous solution; if only you made an ACD solution as well!

Thanks,

Larry