VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Sharing Experience: Optimizing Say Numbers Module

Hi, this time I'd like to share a recent discovery with all users of VG.

If the wav recordings of the digits are not optimum then the "say numbers" module of the VG script will pronounce the number slow. Hence one must trim (i.e. get rid of the preceding and following blanks) the voice recording of the digits, usually in the C:\Program Files\VoiceGuide\system\voice directory, 0-to-20 and 30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100,1000, 1000000, 1000000000. Only then it will say the numbers really fast.

We had to rerecord all these in Turkish, and had been using it without trimming the wavs, e.g. a wav was 1.5 sec of which only 0.4 sec was the voice of the actual digit and the rest was blank. It was saying the 4-digit numbers really slow. But after I trimmed the wavs it started saying them very fast, almost faster than one can grasp on the phone.

This is specially important to us since we read callers 10 digit phone number back to him/her as 3+3+2+2 digit-numbers.

== LEVENT ==

When recording your own replacement 'numbers' sound files then it is quite important to ensure that the new recording are correctly 'trimmed' of any leading and trailing silence, as Levent correctly points out.

The sound files which ship with VoiceGuide have had the silence present at beginning and end in each number sound file trimmed to a set length (50ms) which results in a fairly fluid yet not too fast speaking of numbers/digits when the sound files are played one after another.