VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Clipping Sound At End Of .wav Files

Hi

I am using Voiceguide 5.1.3 with a Dialogic D4/PCI card.

I have just received voice files back from a Voiceover artist and they are all encoded fine, 8-bit 11025Hz mono.

They play back fine in Winamp and Windows Media Player.

However when the Dialogic card/voiceguide plays them, there is a clipping noise at the end of each one. I've attached one for reference.

Any idea what the problem is?

Adam

example.zip

The sound file seems fine...

Do you hear any similar problems with the system sound files which were shipped with VoiceGuide? (VoiceGuide's system sound files are in \system\voice\ subdirectory).

Hi

The files shipped with Voiceguide didn't have the clicking at the end of playback. I've managed to resolve that problem however, by re-saving the files into 16-bit mono 11khz format and then re-converting back, hopefully without losing much quality.

However, I've got a new problem with this set of WAV files which doesn't occur with the ones that ship with Voiceguide, nor some others I've used.

Voiceguide is failing to recognise DTMF tones while these files are being played back. It will often take 3 or 4 tries hitting a key before Voiceguide will recognise it, and thats usually after the playback of the wave file has stopped. Funnily enough, I've noticed this does not happen with the Voiceguide wave files or some others I have tried. Have you ever noticed this happening with particular wave files? Could it be the volume of the sound files affecting the Dialogic cards ability to recognise the DTMF tones?

Thanks

Adam

Could it be the volume of the sound files affecting the Dialogic cards ability to recognise the DTMF tones?

The louder the recorded sound file is the less clearly will the card/modem be able to hear the DTMF tone. Dialogic cards however are usually very good at detecting DTMF tones...

Have you tried testing using a number of different phones/lines? Plz read:

http://voiceguide.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1014

Thanks

Yes it has problems with all phone models and lines.

I'll try and reconnect the card to a different phone line and see if it improves but I suspect it is to do with the WAVE files as they are quite loud.

It seems that the card has no problem detecting DTMF tones when the line is silent but if one of these loud WAVE files is playing it will require a few attempts.

Adam

The system files shipped with VG are about the same loudness (you can compare the amplitudes using most sound editors).

The only thing that comes to mind (and this is highly speculative as I do not know the exact algorithm used by Dialogic card to detect DTMF tones) is that it may be the type of voice chosen that is causing problems here... by that I mean that the sound file you attached is recorded in a male voice that is not very monotonous...

maybe playing such sharply changing files causes the card to have problems clearly hearing other tones on the line...

After having said all that we have not encountered such problems ourselves and we have used a large number of different prompts on many systems. Maybe the lines attached to your card have some quality issues as well which is compounding the problem...