VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Is Distinctive Ring Supported?

Does vg support distinctive ring? I want to run different scripts based on the ringing pattern.

Distinctive ring is not supported by TAPI drivers, hence it is not possible to use the Distinctive ring service to select scripts etc..

If using a T1 or an E1 line then it is possible to use the "Indial" number to select which script you would like to run - but VoiceGuide does not support this on analog lines.

Related post:

http://katalinatech.com/forums/index.php?a...act=ST&f=2&t=32

VoiceGuide for Dialogic now supports Distinctive Ring. See: http://voiceguide.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32

Edited by SupportTeam

I'm certainly not trying to argue with you, but everything I've read indicates that distinctive ring is supported by TAPI. Am I confused?

Both Microsofts's modem TAPI drivers (Unimodem) and Dialogic's TAPI drivers do not support distinctive ringing - maybe some other TAPI devices do. What TAPI compatible telephony devices have you seen that support distinctive ring?

I have found a device that seperates a smart ring/distinctive ring into two ports.

www.imcom.ca

This device analizes the forst ring, and either puts it to device 1 ( Normal ring) or device 2 ( smart ring ) or there is a version that does even a 3rd device ( second smart ring)

I have one, its about $180.00 cnd and works excellent. I'm still waiting for my dialogic 4 port card to come in, and I will have one line through the IMCOM device go to port 1 and 2 on the dialogic card, and then another phone line to port 3.

This way you can run different scripts on each port.

The device doesnt absorb the entire ring, when you cal the normal ring number, you will hear the last 1/4 of the ring on the phone that is connected to device 1. There is a BARGE IN option where if either device 1 or 2 picks up the phone it will "get the line" or if you switch this off, and one device is using the line, the other is given as busy signal ( generated by the imcom device ) when the original device was done with the line, it hangs up, and the other device gets a dial tone. Computers would find this a good feature, ie, busy tone will tell it to resend the fax, or the outbound dialing attempt.

the device is an SR2, or SR3, 2 or three port device. www.imcom.ca. There are other company's that sell the SR2 and SR3.

p.s. there are other devices that do this same thing.

I beleive in windows 95, 98, ME SE support destinctive ring, I remeber installing the same voice modem in a win98 machine, which the drivers supported smart ring, and then when it was installed in a windows 2000 or XP machine, it did not have the option in the driver for the modem for the smartring.

But I was up all night installing the OS so I might have been too tired to remeber properly. :)

The support for Distinctive Ring in windows 95/98/ME/SE was not via TAPI - it was by reading the modem's responses directly. TAPI interface definition which VoiceGuide uses has no way of indicating which Distinctive Ring arrives... and yes this is a major omission... but what can you do...

The older version of VoiceGuide which controlled the modem directly (v2.9) supported Distinctive Ring.

Sadly this is not possible in the current version.

Hi,

I have recently had the same problem with distinctive ring capability. I found out though through my local I.T. supplier that Microshaft in their wisdom decided to remove the distinctive ring capability from windows 2000 and XP. They have now pushed everyone to go the other way in that the software will recognise if it is a fax coming in and automatically either receive the fax or use an answering service. That's alright if you want that to happen, but what about those of us who want a machine to automatically answer a fax number 24/7 and have a seperate answering machine or telephone to answer the calls with. And by this I mean, those of us who don't wish to pay enormous amounts for a second line to be installed but would prefer to use the distinctive ring service provided by the telco for a small additional fee each month.

So there you go, if you want to use distinctive ring you either need to get a hold of a program called Ventafax and play with it's settings or just use windows 98.