VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

1800 Locator Service

Hi,

I am assisiting a colleague with their business setup and providing an AA IVR front end and I am trying to tie in different technologies.

I have a query on a 1800 service where your call is directed to a particular number based on your geographical area. The system is set up where callers to the 1800 number get transferred to a mobile number based on the State they are calling from whether it be NSW, VIC etc etc.

It is further complicated by calls from North QLD ((Port Douglas -> Mackay, far west as Moranbah) get directed to one mobile number and calls from South QLD (Coolangatta -> Rock Hampton, far west as Longreach) get directed to another number.

Now, to further complicate it. They want the callers to dial in to a IVR/AA front end using Voice Guide (VG7.0) and callers are then prompted to select an option which will conference them to the 1800 service as detailed above.

The issue here is that I need to pass the original calling parties number (or location) to the 1800 service and not the line that the call is being conferenced out on in order to be able to transfer their call correctly.

Does anyone have some inside info on a contact at Telstra that I can talk to about the 1800 service? If they're not calling from a landline, how does it know where the mobile is originating from, is it based on the tower? Has anyone using VG ever come across this requirement? What parameters could i pass to the 1800 number when they select the option that will enable the 1800 service to identify their calling location and then transfer them appropriately?

need to pass the original calling parties number (or location) to the 1800 service and not the line that the call is being conferenced out on in order to be able to transfer their call correctly.

I think that you are basically asking how to set the CallerIS on outgoing calls. In Australia you will probably not be able to set the CallerID on outgoing calls. This is commonly done in US, but this is not commonly done in Australia.

(to set CallerID on outgoing calls use the <CallerID> option in the Call Options field when making an outbound call.)

If they're not calling from a landline, how does it know where the mobile is originating from,

You cannot tell. This information is available to mobile telco company, but not to parties they pass the call onto.

You will need to ask callers from mobile numbers to select the region they are calling from.

You should speak to your ISDN line supplier to see if you can set CallerID on outgoing calls on your line.

If CallerID cannot be set then you will need to use Inband Signalling (DTMF tones) to relay location information. The recipient of call will need to be able to accept and correctly interpret and react to the Inband Signaling data which your system sends to it.