VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Idap Or Idam?

I was advised in another topic that the preferred protocol for a T1 line that I'm going to subscribe should be preferrable as:

Robbed Bit with Wink Start ("Robbed Bit D4, AMI, Super Frame, E&M, Wink Start")

I followed up with my telco who advised me that this protocol requires subscription to the IDAM service. Originally, I was trying to subscribe to IDAP service.

What I understand is that IDAP allowes incoming and outgoing calls on a line whereas in IDAM, it is necessary to define in advance which ports are incoming, and which are for outgoing.

Hence, may I get more info on what is the differences between IDAP and IDAM, especially on the implication on building VoiceGuide solutions? What will I gain or lose to use IDAM vs. IDAP. Can I use IDAP afterall, as superficially, there is no restriction on having to restrict incoming and outgoing lines.

Thanks!

I am myself not too sure what is meant by IDAM or IDAP - it's not a name of any configuration setup used on T1 lines that I know. Are these perhaps the telco company's internal names for a type of product which they supply?

Using T1s configured as "Robbed Bit D4, AMI, Super Frame, E&M, Wink Start" allows much easier set up and trouble shooting.

Installation is usually a big headache if an ISDN protocol is used instead of Robbed Bit signaling, and we have found in the past that most people who started trying to set up ISDN just gave up and changed lines over to Robbed Bit.

Thanks, and I appreciate your patience with me posting sometimes unclear questions as I am a newbie.

You're probably right that IDAP and IDAP are our telco's terminology. I now find out that IDA refers to Integrated Digital Access and:

IDA-M: Single way of communication by DTMP technology

IDA-P: Two way of communication (incoming/outgoing) by Primary Rate Interface

I'm told your suggested "Robbed Bit D4, AMI, Super Frame, E&M, Wink Start" are all offerd under IDA-M (which I suppose should be DTMP to be exact). Then my next question relates to capacity planning for using VoiceGuide:

1. It is necessary to define exactly which channels are 'in' and which are 'out', say 12 ports each for a 24 channels.

2. When VG picks a call, 1 channel is consumed. Then if during the process I need to initiate a dial out, or for sending fax, etc., then another channel would be consumed.

3. Hence, strictly speaking, unless I run a simple IVR solution with no outgoing features, I should plan for using 2 channels per 'operator'. (e.g. 2 VG licenses would be needed per 'operator'.)

4. Am I correct? I would need to be very clear on this because it would imply doubling the cost and my pricing to offer to our customers would need to take this into account.

Thanks for your further advice!

1. It is necessary to define exactly which channels are 'in' and which are 'out', say 12 ports each for a 24 channels.

Yes. This is how most other people have set it up - maybe it's possible to have channels configured as in/out but this all depends what telco supports - each telco is slightly different and all questions on what is/isn't possible on the lines should be directed to the telco as they know best what the equipment that they are using supports.

2. When VG picks a call, 1 channel is consumed. Then if during the process I need to initiate a dial out, or for sending fax, etc., then another channel would be consumed.

Yes - if you chose to make an outgoing call on another channel then another channel will be used.

3. Hence, strictly speaking, unless I run a simple IVR solution with no outgoing features, I should plan for using 2 channels per 'operator'. (e.g. 2 VG licenses would be needed per 'operator'.)

4. Am I correct?

If your application requires an outbound call to be made as a result of an incoming call then 2 channels will be used. one for the incoming call and one for the outgoing call.

Thanks indeed. My minds are clearer now and I am progressing more comfortably towards setting up my platforms! Of course, I am glad to become your customer very soon :)